Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Corrected-new construction garage-need creative ideas

Posted by thebearsfamily (My Page) on
Thu, May 25, 06 at 18:35

We have a 100 year old yellow brick house with no off street parking. Very close to the houses on either side. Front porch is wood and in poor shape full length of the house.We are doing alot of renovations inside the house and would like to dig out the front hiilside to put in a garage. We want to have an entrance into the basement from the garage. The questions I have are 1) how can we connect the basement, which is going to be higher, to the garage? and 2) what kind of creative thing can we do for the garage door? I hate the look of the average garage door and it will be a major focus of attention with our narrow lot, We will get an architect to draw up plans but I know you guys will come up with some other suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Corrected-new construction garage-need creative ideas

There are a number of upscale garage door manufactures that manufacture upscale grade doors. Door are the traditional overhead, swing, or sliding types, and can be made of several types of materials i.e. solid wood (cedar, mahogony cypress), fiberglass and steel. And range in styles from clasic, to victorian, to contempory. Price ranges from $2,000 upwards of $7,000 for a 7 x 16 door.

Now if you REALLY do not want to see the grage door, there is a company that builds a door unit that will blend in with your surounding house siding. They can even mount a door or window in this unit!! When you look at one of these units, you can not tell your looking at a garage door. The only give a way is the cement driveway that leads to what looks like the front or side of the house! Great concept! Workmanship was outstanding, however I understand they are extremely expensive!

Regards!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here