Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good Deal on Generac Generator?

Posted by zfergie (My Page) on
Wed, May 11, 11 at 17:34

Neighbor has a nearly new Generac XP8000E generator for sale. He has installed a larger residential unit. Bought from Lowes for $1300 about a year ago. He's asking $800. It only has 10 hours on it but has been operated with regular 10W-30 motor oil. Generac says to use 5W-30 Full Synthetic. I'm wondering if there might be any premature damage to the engine by using the wrong oil. Would appreciate any comments. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good Deal on Generac Generator?

I'd think you're best bet would be to get an engineer from Generac on the phone. The big unknown is how much you're going to use the thing. Let's say for sake of example the normal life expectancy is 200 hours but using the wrong oil reduced that expectancy by 10%. Based on the last year, it would be 18 years before you'd need a new generator. What if you have a bad couple of years? What happens if the power doesn't go out for the next 5 years?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here