Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
imjustagirl_gw

Suggestions? Garage cabinets/storage Home Depot / Lowes???

imjustagirl
17 years ago

Does anyone have any suggestions? We're looking to buy cabinets for the garage. Husband doesn't want the plain white wood, he'd like something a little more 'tool' looking. So, we found sets at Home Depot (Mills Pride) and Lowes (Coleman I think??). Unfortunately, the displays at the stores are up on the 2nd shelf. How stupid is that. So, we can't open the doors or pull out the shelves and see the quality.

Is anyone familiar with either of these systems?

Comments (8)

• mike_kaiser_gw
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Go back to the store and ask an employee to pull down one of the cabinets so you can look at it.

I don't know what kind of cabinets you were looking at but generally you get what you pay for. My guess is there some kind of thermofused particle board. Which is fine for light use.

Mike

• clg7067
    17 years ago

Yeah, why do they do that! I say go to the ladder section and borrow a step ladder to check it out.

• doyledh
    17 years ago

It looks like Home Depot now carries Stanley brand storage units, which look nice. I, too would like to see how sturdy and practical they are, and maybe slam the door shut a few times.
    Today I noticed Target carries a line of garage organizer by California Closet. They must be particle board covered in that melanmine or whatever you call it, but they looked good and durable. $149 for a large 2 door tall cabinet. The price is right anyway.

• noworries
    17 years ago

I just assembled and installed 11 of the Lowes Coleman garage cabinets. (Two uppers, two 4-ft wide tall cabinets, two two-door base cabinets, three three-drawer base cabinets, and two five-drawer base cabinets with a workbench top for a desk). (The latter are actually higher than I'd like for a desk and I'd probably not do that another time.) Coleman private labels them from a major assemble-it-yourself bookcase, etc. manufacturer whose name escapes me right now. The cabinets are made in the USA.

After assembling the first cabinet they went together in about an hour to an hour and a quarter each. (Start with an upper or a two-door base cabinet. They're the simplest). The tall 4-foot cabinets really do take two people to assemble and move about, but all the rest can be done solo.

Each piece uses the same basic hardware. You'll want a Phillips screwdriver and drill with a phillips bit and a hammer. There are a LOT of screws - don't even consider assembling more than one cabinet with a manual screwdriver.

They've all got cardboard backs and are made from half-inch melamine or melamine like materials. Of the 11 cabinets, I was short only one screw. Pretty amazing, I'd say. I bought the screw at a hardware store since it was a standard metric screw used in the drawer handles.

The door hinges are of good quality, euro design. The drawer glides are also of decent quality, but are not the full length ball bearing under-drawer design I'd really like. The drawers bottoms are 1/2 inch particle board and have L-brackets that secure and support the front and back ends to the respective vertical panels. The metal glide assemblies also serve as the drawer side panels.

All in all, I'm very pleased, there were NO misaligned pilot holes and EVERY fastener location had a pilot hole in both pieces so there was no alignment questions or potential for error. Even the cardboard backs had pilot holes for the nails.

These cabinets cost a quarter to a third of what I was quoted for "garage cabinets" by two of the local "custom" houses. Granted, those are 8 foot high x 24" deep, use 3/4 stock, don't have cardboard backs, and have full length aluminum supports on the shelves and door edges. However, I just won't over-stress the drawer glides or overload the shelves and I'm sure these will be just fine.

I arranged the cabinets as follows - the two tall 4 foot cabinets, then a two-door base (into which I'm going to mount a sink), three three-drawer base cabinets, then another two door base. I adjusted the leveling feet on each one to match the floor variations such that each cabinet lined up with its neighbors. I then drilled the sides of each and screwed them together to make one unit out of the bunch. Since they are 19 inches deep, I pulled the base units out from the wall about two inches and mounted a half (longwise) sheet of plywood as a 24 inch wide workbench with about a half-inch overhang off the front of the cabinets. This yields about a 10 foot long workbench with cabinets below.

The uppers are mounted to another wall and are also screwed together. The uppers also come with a back mounting bracket with a built in leveling bubble. Nice touch.

I'd buy more of these if I want additional out-of-sight storage.

• mdeleon
    17 years ago

Any pictures of your setup??? I was looking at some slide-lok units and was hoping to find some info here.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    17 years ago

I've been looking at some of these. I haven't made a decision yet.
    Annette

Here is a link that might be useful: cabinets

• johnmoorre4u_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Try the below Link! I hope this might help you in finding best Cabinets!

Here is a link that might be useful: Garage Storage Cabinets

• earthworm
    13 years ago

Pressed paper(particle board) may seem nice, but do not let the even touch water - or excessive moisture...
    Ask how I know....
    I thing regular wood and pegboard are better, and more practical, but may not look as nice....