Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken1965

Craftsman Garage Door Opener Model #139.53413

ken1965
17 years ago

I just recently bought a house and I have a Sears/Craftsman Garage Door Opener Model# 139.53413, S/N 2392J02917--I noticed that there was not a light bulb in the unit, so I put a light builb in unit, but will not shut off after any time. I have to actually take out light on this unit or it would stay on consistantly. Is this normal for this model? Do I need a special bulb or setting? I have never seen a garage door that light will not shut off automatically after certain set period. What can be done at this point?

Oh and another thing, the previous owner tossed the owners manual, so I do not have access to that unless I were to order from Sears.com and spend 4.95 plus shipping. Any advice would be helpful...

Comments (7)

• Don_
    17 years ago

Normally the light in the unit stays on for 4 1/2 minutes and then automatically shuts off. If this doesn't happen you most likely have a stuck relay on the logic board. The owners manual isn't very helpful with diagnosing problems. It is more for the DIY installation although it can help you with some of the adjustments.

• slobberknock1
    17 years ago

139.53675SRT

The cable attached from the tension wheel to the bottom of the door frayed and the door slipped out of alignment. According to the people that installed the damn thing in 1997, the operator is blinking five times, which means the motor is bad? $177 later the $15 cable is replaced and the repair man want's $350 to replace the operator. Please help me! Am I headed to Home Depot to purchase a whole new system, then to the liquor store for a 12 pack and a phone call to a buddy to come over Saturday and help me install it? Is the new Craftsman Model going to fit with the existing chain-drive bar and mounting brackets? Should I just rip it all down and get a Genie?

• Don_
    17 years ago

Is the trolley jammed against the bolt in front of the motor unit? If so, remove the bolt and turn the 'up limit' 3 or 4 turns in the opposite direction of the arrow printed on the cover. The 12 pack is a good idea but it's a little early to give up on the opener. Post back please. The trolley is the part the door and the chain are connected to.

• slobberknock1
    17 years ago

Thanks Don. The trolley is half way between the operator and the wall in the middle of the bar. Any truth to the five blinks meaning the motor is bad? I can't see that the trolley is impeded in any way and the operator doesn't work even when the door is disengaged from the trolley.

• Don_
    17 years ago

Five blinks is the code for "RPM sensor or motor overload". I really doubt the motor is bad - but???? If it were me rather than give them another $350 I would go to Sears and get a new opener. I don't think you can use the existing chain-drive bar but their manual has excellant instructions for installation. Just take your time and you will be money ahead.

• slobberknock1
    17 years ago

Thanks Don!

• mitch-lawyer
    16 years ago

I also had a similar problem with my Sears Craftsman garage door opener. While Sears said the part may be covered by warranty, it would cost $65 for them to get it done. I am considering filing a class action lawsuit against Sears. If you would like more information on joining the class, please email a summary of your experience with Sears and/or the garage door opener, along with your contact information: name, tele. no., e-mail address. Thanks, Mitchell Rait. mrait@comcast.net

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling