Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garage door opener going crazy

Posted by dvermehren (My Page) on
Fri, May 12, 06 at 10:46

I recently moved into my new home, the garage right below is equipped with a Sears/Craftsman door opener, everything was fine for a month or so, but recently the door suddenly starts opening than closing in the middle of the night or day. It's driving me nuts as I have my tools and my Harley in there and do not like the idea of the gate opening for anyone to walk in when I'm not around.
What could be a possible reason for that? It is at different times no real pattern. Could it be the chipmunks living in the garage next door??????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garage door opener going crazy

The first thing you should do is remove the 2 wires from the wall button on terminals 1 and 2 on the opener. Make sure all the other wires are still connected. This will eliminate the wires and the wall button itself. Sometimes the installer uses metal staples and they cut through the insulation and cause this problem. Sometimes the wall button is bad especially if there have been teenagers who slap it rather than press the button. Give this a try and post back.

o

I have the same problem. It doesn't seem to be the wall switch. Can outside influences activate the remote?

o

Newer openers have basically eliminated the outside influence. It is usually the wall switch, wiring or mis-adjustments.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here