Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Add an additional garage door sensor

Posted by selvan777 (My Page) on
Thu, May 24, 07 at 10:06

Hi,

I have a Craftsman 1/2 horse model 139.53962SRT.

I've found it extremely useful having the sensor raised to match the car so the door will not close if the car is in the way.

But now with little ones running around I've put it back to it's proper location but would like to know if I can add another for the car, perhaps even by aliening a couple mirrors.

Any thoughts or remedies to protect the car without the string and ball trick and/or stoppers placed on the floor would be appreciated.

Thanks
Selvan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Add an additional garage door sensor

This is something that has never come up before but I just can't imagine it working or how you would design it. The old ball on a string is much cheaper.

o

Here's my thought on designing an inexpensive mirror trick

The big question is though, do you think the existing sensor circuit can carry the beam an additional round trip across the width of the door in a letter "Z"?

Let me explain the "Z", we have two existing sensors (S1 & S2). Place S1 at the bottom of the door where it should be (this is also the bottom right end of the "Z"), place S2 higher up aligned to protect the car (this is also the top left end of the "Z"), purchase two more sensor brackets and place them at each bend on the "Z", now attach a mirror to each of the two purchased brackets and align them to reflect the beam from S1 to S2.

Do you see what I'm saying, kind of difficult without pictures, let me know. Maybe I should patent this?

Thanks
Selvan

o

Interesting idea. I'm not sure the infrared beam is strong enough to travel that far. The difficult part will be aligning the mirrors. If you decide to try it I hope you will let us know how you make out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here