Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Steel building that does not look like one

Posted by gayle (My Page) on
Fri, May 30, 08 at 7:41

We want to build a large steel building for use as a garage, workshop and storeroom behind our house. However, we do not want it to look like an ugly steel building. Originally we were going to use hardy plank siding but read on this forum somewhere that hardy plank is very difficult to work with. Does anyone have suggestions on how we could side and roof the building as inexpensively and attractively as possible?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Steel building that does not look like one

you could always use texture 111 for siding and paint or stain it, and you can plywood the roof and shingle it. Just make sure the load for the roof is designed for plywood and shingles, as that would be heavier than a tin roof.

o
RE: Steel building that does not look like one

I saved an article from "Country" magazine when I was afraid that my husband was going to build a steel building on our property. I can't recall the details now but it was so attractive you didn't even know it was a 'pole barn'. I'll look for it and see if I can't post something for you. I do recall that they used a lot of reclaimed material.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here