Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdsmith93

Chamberlain garage door opener problem

mdsmith93
17 years ago

I just recently purchased a home with a Chamberlain garage door opener, Model 4200, manufactured in 1999. Today the garage door was acting strange, opening and then shutting off. It did this on the way down as well.

As I fiddled more with it, I noticed that as the garage door opener is functioning, the opener vibrates and the power shuts down. I checked the connections to the outlet, and everything seems fine. However, when I push up from the bottom of the opener, the power shuts on and off. It defintely seems like something is loose or defective, but I'm too much of a novice to know what that is. Again, to sum up, as the garage door opens or closes, the power is interrupted, causing the door to simply stop. Any suggestions as to what is going on would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (11)

• Don_
    17 years ago

Unplug the opener from the power and then take the cover off. Follow the power cord inside the opener and check the connections. Sounds to me like something is loose.

• krivanj
    17 years ago

One of the biggest joys of my life was the service I recieved by calling Chamberlain when I had problems with my opener once in a while. They are one of the best companies I've ever dealt with.
    They will go out of ther way to do anything they can to walk you though any porblems.

• mikey1956
    17 years ago

what was the final solution to your problem. my opener is doing the same thing?

• Don_
    17 years ago

mikey1956 the original poster isn't going to be lurking here to answer your question. Why don't you start a new post and explain your problem?

• mikey1956
    17 years ago

My problem is that my Chamberlain 4200 garage door opener will open part way and just quit. This is happening with more frequency and also happens on the way down. Also, the light will sometimes go off, not during travel, and I can push on the cover where the board is and get the light to turn back on.

• Don_
    17 years ago

Sounds like you may have a loose connection. Make sure the screws are tight that connect all those white wires to the motor unit. You could also have a bad connection on the printed circuit board.

• vclfl
    15 years ago

My 5-month old Chamberlain garage door appears to be having problems with the remote control. One of them doesn't appear to work after dark. Also, the external keypad has the same problem-working in the daytime BUT not at night. At night when I punch in the 4-digit code, as soon as I press the first digit the keypad lights up red.

• esko6775_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Wall mount in garage will not open or close door.....

• akelly_wonderwarenorth_com
    13 years ago

Hello - I own three Chamberlain 3/4 HP WhisperDrive + openers (all about 2 years old) - model 248754. Recently one of them has been not fully closing as well as opening too far (i.e. the car that travels the rail hits the bolt on the rail, just before the motor connection). I have adjusted the open/close and force limits per the user/installation manual several times. Each correction works, but only for a day or so and then the problem occurs again. Any ideas?

• Frenchae_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I am havign same exact problem at David. same chamberlain model as well the 248754. Door now will nto shut using travel limits. Cannot correct by settign travel limits. Any suggestions.

"Hello - I own three Chamberlain 3/4 HP WhisperDrive + openers (all about 2 years old) - model 248754. Recently one of them has been not fully closing as well as opening too far (i.e. the car that travels the rail hits the bolt on the rail, just before the motor connection). I have adjusted the open/close and force limits per the user/installation manual several times. Each correction works, but only for a day or so and then the problem occurs again. Any ideas?"

• greenthumblarry
    13 years ago

Other than something electrically wrong or bad connections do NOT try to adjust tension or play with coils or tracks on your garage door.

There have been many horrific accidents. Call a professional.

-Word to the wise. Just my opinion. I have bent out bad tracks and adjusted rollers and never got hurt. Just lucky.

When you adjust tension the problem is you get "lost" from the original orientation of the tension then your in no mans land and it is difficult to re-find the "center" and get it adjusted properly.