Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
uneven garage door

Posted by cparmenter (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 19, 08 at 23:13

Just recently, when we lower our garage door, it does not come down evenly. (we do not have a garage door opener). We have lived in this house (purchased new), for 8 years and this has just recently occured. We can tell it is uneven because you can see about 1-1/2 inches of white paint on the left side of the door, and the right side has part of the tan paint (color of the door), hidden behind the wall. The door hits the cement floor level, but seems to be an inch or 2 off center. Any ideas on how this happens/how to fix it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
garage door motor problems

I just recently replaced the gear on my older craftsman garage door opener and have tried everything to get it to run properly. It will run for 6-10 inches and then stop and reverse itself. Is it possble that the motor has gone bad in it? I have replaced several gears on this unit and have never encountered this problem with the motor running like this, I even took the chain off like you suggested to anther person to try and get the motor to reengage itself. Any suggestions? Tony.

o
RE: uneven garage door

For the OP, what type of a spring assist system does your door have?
If torsion type, it sounds like the cable that attaches to the bottom of the door on one side hangs down farther than the one on the other side, or is broken. Working on this mechanism can be trecherous due to the stored energy in the torsion spring when the door is closed. Repairs should probably be refered to an experienced garage door mechanic.
If you have an extension spring type, I'd say one spring is misadjusted or sprung. I'd replace both springs.

o
RE: uneven garage door

Tony, Breaking gears on a garage door opener is an indication that the opener is doing a lot of work to lift or lower the door. The craftsman openers are made by Chamberlain and that has always been their weak link. THe problem however may be caused by a weak or broken spring. Disconnect the door from the opener and lift it by hand stop at 1' off the floor 3' off the floor and 5' off the floor. At every point a balance door should stay put. A weak or brokien spring will cause the door too fall freely to the ground. If the door is somewhat in balance then try adjusting the down force on the opener. Also, take a look at the photobeams at the bottom. Sometimes they are barely aligned and when the door goes down they misalign causing a safety reversal. If you see the LED on the beams flash when the reverse happens then align the beams and check the wires to the opener.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here