Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I insulate my garage?

Posted by cruzmisl (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 6, 11 at 22:28

Hi All,

My garage is attached to my home and is all brick. The garage is uninsulated (but drywalled). The west wall of the garage gets full sun in the summer from noon until sunset. Problem is, the inside of the garage gets extraoridinarily hot. If I walk by the west wall on the outside you can feel the heat radiating from the brick. I'm thinking the heat has to be radiating into the garage as well.

Would insulating the west wall help minimize the heat transfer? Any ideas?

Thanks!
Joe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I insulate my garage?

Insulation will help reduce the transfer of heat and cold. Since your garage is attached to your home it should help keep your house more comfortable too. Plus, proper insulation should pay for itself in the form of lower utility bills in a few years. There are companies that spray insulation into the walls through small holes thus eliminating the need to remove and re-install new sheet rock.

o
RE: Should I insulate my garage?

Ours had no insulation in the attic and like 1" thick insulated doors and the doors were replaced with 2" thick doors and R40 insulation in the attic above it and the difference is huge winter and summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here