Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman 1/2 HP GDO - fix or replace?

Posted by dougp_sj (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 7, 08 at 22:02

I have a 17 year old Craftsman 1/2 HP GDO. It has been working fine until today when the door got half way up then stopped.

The motor is still turning and I think it's the white plastic gear that has crapped out.

Given the age of the opener, and given that we use it every day, should I bother with repairing the thing? I have no exp with GDOs and I dont really want to mess with the thing.

Thanks a lot!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman 1/2 HP GDO - fix or replace?

Replace!!, but bear in mind that if replace includes you having to pay for installation, it will be over 100 bucks more than repair. But you will get a much safer GDO.

Make sure your door is in good balance!

o
RE: Craftsman 1/2 HP GDO - fix or replace?

Thanks techdave! I think I will replace. Probably will just get another 1/2 HP Craftsman chain drive. Sears has for $150.

My door is only 6mos old so should be good to go.

Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here