Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susan3733_gw

Carriage house style wooden garage doors - pls comment on these c

susan3733
14 years ago

Hello all -

Just wondering if I've covered all the bases in looking for a carriage house style paint-grade wooden garage door (size is 16 wide by 6'9" tall) for our Craftsman-style house.

So far, I've got prices from the following:

Wayne Dalton (don't care for the steel "wood look", even though they claim it looks like wood, but the price is great - $2500)

Access (price is $4000 but wood door is not very well-insulated, although we live in San Diego so it probably doesn't matter much. Door is taller than we need, but they claim they can somehow smush a 7' door up into the header and make it look okay in our 6'9" height opening as long as we're okay with losing 2-3" of the top reveal)

Ranch House (decent price of $35000 for the semi-custom model but the design is not perfect and has an extra rail across the bottom; they also have a custom door which would get us the exact look we want, but it's way too expensive at about $6000)

Carriage House door (where we can get a custom door close to our design and in our size for about $4200)

Clopay, which has nice design, but is not exactly what we're hoping for; it's a steel door with some kind of a wood overlay for $3500.

Which would you pick and why? Or, are there better options that I haven't found? Our builder has given us an allowance of $3500, and we'd love to stay within that, if possible. This is so difficult!

THANKS IN ADVANCE -

Susan

Comments (8)