Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
feciii

High lift Door w/ Craftsman opener?

feciii
13 years ago

I wish to retrofit one of my garage doors to be able to use a car storage lift. I currently have (3) 7ft doors each connected to craftsman 1/2HP belt drive units. (I forget the model #) With a 14ft ceiling in the garage, I really would like to be able to move the opener closer to the ceiling to give enough room for the car lift to operate. Now, I know that I could switch the opener over to a different model, but I sort of like the craftsman remote w/ three buttons and I really do not want to have to carry a different remote. Any comments on can I retrofit this to still use the same opener? And if so, how? Or am I just dreaming?

Thanks

Comments (4)

• don_1_2006
    13 years ago

I just don't see how this can be done. You will be pulling and pushing on the door at an awkward angle. You might call a local door service company and see if they have done this.

• feciii
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Current: 7' doors in a 12'11" garage.

I was staring at it this afternoon, and measuring heights, angles, weather stripping, etc.. and I thought that if I added two additional panels and move the whole opener and track up the additional 3' 8" (approx.) extend the track up (on the same angle or slightly less), replace the springs and remove the outside door release handle - so it doesn't hit the header - it should be able to pull the door up and back the same amount on the horizontal track - just leaving the last 4' or so vertical above the header.

As long as the springs are for the new door weight - I think it should work. And clearance under the door & opener should be fine for a lift with the upper car facing towards the door.

-Rick

• don_1_2006
    13 years ago

Okay I didn't realize you intended to increase the door height. It is doable then. You can purchase from Sears a rail extension kit for an 8 or 10 foot door.

• feciii
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Current: 7' doors in a 12'11" garage.

I was staring at it this afternoon, and measuring heights, angles, weather stripping, etc.. and I thought that if I added two additional panels and move the whole opener and track up the additional 3' 8" (approx.) extend the track up (on the same angle or slightly less), replace the springs and remove the outside door release handle - so it doesn't hit the header - it should be able to pull the door up and back the same amount on the horizontal track - just leaving the last 4' or so vertical above the header.

As long as the springs are for the new door weight - I think it should work. And clearance under the door & opener should be fine for a lift with the upper car facing towards the door.

-Rick