Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garage shelf support

Posted by thomaskuhn (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 20:53

I am building shelves for the garage and am in the final stages. I have a question regarding the need for any additional "wall to shelf" brackets.

I must preface that i am not a master carpenter by any stretch of the imagination, especially on big projects like this.

When I built these, i used my dads technique of attaching 1x2x8' to the cinderblock wall with 1/4" tapcons every 12" to 16". There is one strip on the top and one strip 48" down on the bottom shelf (not sure what these strips re called). I then preceded to build the shelving (3/4" ply) off of those brackets by screwing and gluing to them. Vertical sides were added, then finally the internal horizontal shelves. Everything is glued and screwed.

My question is... Should i add more 1"x2" under the various horizontal shelves for additional support, or will the strips i have support everything well enough?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garage shelf support

bump

o
RE: Garage shelf support

The fasteners at the bottom are in shear until the cabinets start to move (if they do), the fasteners at the top are in tension. With the situation you describe, the fasteners in tension are more likely to fail-- by pulling out of the wall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here