Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thomaskuhn

Garage shelf support

thomaskuhn
10 years ago

I am building shelves for the garage and am in the final stages. I have a question regarding the need for any additional "wall to shelf" brackets.

I must preface that i am not a master carpenter by any stretch of the imagination, especially on big projects like this.

When I built these, i used my dads technique of attaching 1x2x8' to the cinderblock wall with 1/4" tapcons every 12" to 16". There is one strip on the top and one strip 48" down on the bottom shelf (not sure what these strips re called). I then preceded to build the shelving (3/4" ply) off of those brackets by screwing and gluing to them. Vertical sides were added, then finally the internal horizontal shelves. Everything is glued and screwed.

My question is... Should i add more 1"x2" under the various horizontal shelves for additional support, or will the strips i have support everything well enough?

Comments (2)

• randy427
    10 years ago

bump

• bus_driver
    10 years ago

The fasteners at the bottom are in shear until the cabinets start to move (if they do), the fasteners at the top are in tension. With the situation you describe, the fasteners in tension are more likely to fail-- by pulling out of the wall.