Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garage Storage Gurus: 24', 30', or 36' workbench depth????

Posted by happy123 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 24, 08 at 20:14

What say ye?

I am putting a perimeter storage/table/work bench in the garage. It will probably be about 30 feet when I am done. Basically I have a lot of bare wall and I wanted to add storage.

What is the proper depth? I know kitchen counters are 24" deep but this seems to small, however I still want to be able to reach things on the wall.

24" is a good size for lumber since I can get 2 tops out of a 4'x8' sheet of plywood. 36" may be too big and a lot of reaching.

What do you have in your garage?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garage Storage Gurus: 24', 30', or 36' workbench depth????

Meant to say INCHES not FEET in the thread subject :-)

o

my workbench is 36", and it is a hassle at times to reach tools hanging onthe back wall. originally it was a workbench at our office and had a shelf on the back which is why it is so deep. i have a 24"x6' table in the workshop and it is too narrow for many things. i got my wife a storage cabinet for the laundry room that has a 30" top on it, and it seems just about right to me.

if you have a couple saw horse that can approximate the finished height, lay a 4x8 sheet of plwood on them. have soemone hold a board at each mark and see what it feels like to you. if you are like me, the 30" will be just right. then use the 18" left over to make shelves or doors for it!

o

Why not do some of each? It will be nice to have a deep counter for some projects, but also useful to have shorter tops elsewhere. You can store less used things on the deeper counter.

Depending on layout you might, for example, put the deeper part on the short leg of an "L", or put it at one end or in the middle.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here