Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
size of garage door.

Posted by gex7 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 1, 08 at 19:59

I am having a 24x24x8 garage built. It is for a car and a 17 foot bass boat. It will be set back 8 feet from the alley with the alley being approximately 16 foot wide. I can not decide on what size doors. I was thinking either 2 9x7 or one 16 x7. I heard people have problems with wider doors. I was thinking it would be easier to back or pull out the boat with the wider door. Any thought or suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks in advance gex

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: size of garage door.

I now have two smaller doors, but in a previous house I had the one larger door. It didn't look as nice, but it sure was a lot easier to get in and out. I miss that door. Never had a problem with that wider door. You will want that extra room, especially for that boat.

o

I have a 24 x 32 x 8 detached garage and went with one 16 x 8 door. I really like the extra foot tall door for my truck etc.

o

[IMG]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/spallatial/time.gif[/IMG]

o

Looking at your numbers, I can't help but think that a single-wide door would be a small target to hit when backing in the boat.
A 17' boat will have 3 or 4 feet of additional trailer tongue, making it 20 or more feet from the transom to the ball hitch. With it being only 24' from the door to the far side of the alley, the boat will still be at an angle when it gets to the door opening.
I would simulate these conditions in a parking lot with poles and cones to see what I'd be dealing with.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here