Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Epoxy garage floor paint

Posted by pee-bee (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 6, 10 at 19:38

I have a combination two car garage work shop. About five years ago my wife and I applied two part epoxy floor paint which shortly began to lift. We followed the instructions including the prep work faithfully. I failed to take into account the fact there was no insulation or poly under the concrete and the moisture is migrating up and lifting the paint. (we live in a four season area with below freezing temps with no heat in the garage)So my question is: how to remove the paint without a whole lot of mess such as would be the case with sand blasting?I should point out the interior is finished and painted with built-in cabinets and benches.Anybody have any experience in this area?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Epoxy garage floor paint

You don't want to sandblast. You will need to have it beadblasted or shot blasted to remove everything. I imagine the epoxy you used was the box store two-part epoxy. They do not last. Sunbelt rentals also rent a floor polisher that has a carbide adapter for stripping paint. It will not harm the concrete but it will also not prepare it for another cheap coat of epoxy either. Check this site out http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20 And read through what some of the expert say on there about proper floor prep

Here is a link that might be useful: Garage Journal

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here