Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hgiljr

Running generator inside SHED

hgiljr
15 years ago

Hello all. So I have a TED shed, 10X14 along with a window. What would be the side affects to the shed or generator if I run it inside the shed with only the window open during the night but door open during the day? I am asking this in preparation for hurricane season down here in SFLA. I really want to lower the engine noise as much as possible during the nights so that neighbors do not complain. No one would be inside the shed while it is running and only the window open. Yes I know that not to run any type of engine in an enclosed area, but being that it is a shed and no one will be inside, with a window open, can a fire be ignited or anything to that matter? Any info appreciated. Thanks

Comments (11)

• techdave
    15 years ago

Howdy, if you dont make provisions to duct in fresh air to the engine from outside, you will greatly reduce engine life and performance.

As for fire, of course it could set the shed on fire. Plan accordingly when siting and building the shed.

Use a transfer switch!!

• hgiljr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I already have the shed, it is a pre built Ted Shed with a 2X3 size window. Would this be enough at night to bring in fresh air? Remember it will only be at night, since during the day I will have the door open and the generator on the edge of the door. As for transfer switch, already have it. Thanks

• bas157
    15 years ago

You could always put a window fan in one of the windows to help suck the exhaust out and bring in fresh air.

• saftgeek
    15 years ago

Don't do it... Every year we hear of poor uninformed folks that end up dead because they try to make the temporary power situation as convinient as possible. Some leave the genset in the garage, out of the weather. Others do stupid stuff like heating a home with a space heater that isn't safe for interior operation. Either way, cold or hot, people die from the lack of Oxygen present in the area where the unit is being operated. The problem with finding out if you have proper ventalation is that by the time you figure it out, you're dead!!! One lungfull and that's it, game over...

Whatever you decide, make sure to keep your life insurance policy handy and up-to-date...

BTW... I am a saftgeek by trade and I tend to be a little on the gloom and doom side.

• davidandkasie
    15 years ago

saftgeek, if you even bothered to READ the post, he is wanting to run it in a shed far removed from the house, NOT the garage.

and one lungfull of CO will not kill you. it does nto take much mroe than that, but if just breathing in CO was instant death, no one would be alive in LA for the last 40 years. it takes a large exposure over a few minutes.

• casey_wa
    15 years ago

The simple answer to this Darwinian question is.... NO!

• brickeyee
    15 years ago

"and one lungfull of CO will not kill you. it does nto take much mroe than that, but if just breathing in CO was instant death, no one would be alive in LA for the last 40 years. it takes a large exposure over a few minutes."

Like going in to the shed to re-fuel the generator.
    About the time you notice you are feeling 'odd' you can pass out.
    Then you cannot move yourself to fresh air.

And the concentration of CO from a small generator in a shed is going to be many times higher than the free air in LA.

• Hardwarenutz
    11 years ago

A generator shed will do a great job protecting your generator from the rain and snow! I wanted a safe and good looking way to enclose my generator. There are also ready made versions. You can see my solution below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Generator Shed

This post was edited by Hardwarenutz on Sun, Jan 6, 13 at 12:19

• madmaxx20155
    7 years ago

The persons using his shed it's away from the house and when he opens the doors I'm sure if it smells funky he's not going to go in till it's clear so I'm sure it's safe , unless he leaves flammable things in shed then yea he might lose his shed and part of his home. But I'm sure he's not a stupid man .

• Vith
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Solution is simple, provide for exhaust and air intake. Put some roof vents at the top and keep the window open. Basic combustion requirements. Boom done. It does not output CO, it outputs CO2, only if there is not enough oxygen it becomes CO either inadequate intake or exhaust can cause low oxygen levels.

And a transfer kit is a sound investment. Beats running multiple trip hazards and being unable to close doors due to extension cords. Hook up the one cord and your house has power at the circuits you need.