Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sealing out water in new garage

Posted by fletchb (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 29, 07 at 19:28

Hello,
I have been slowly converting my carport over to a garage as time/money permits. A local handyman and his helper put up the most of the walls about a month ago. They have 2*4's on screwed into the cement floor, the studs attached to those which are connected to the existing ceiling walls. The walls are covered with plywood (t1-11 I think?). The 2*4's on the ground have plastic barrier between them and the cement floor. On the outside the contractors placed liquid nails for a water barrier, but I have found that is not enough and water leaks in during good rains. Over the past 2 weeks I have been putting down more and more liquid nails and when it rained thursday I happen to be home and noticed the Liq nails seem to help on one wall , perhaps a bit on a second, and not at all on the third. Yesterday, I went out to put out yet more nails on the wall that is still leaking and a contractor working next door saw me and in talking mentioned that Liq nails is not a good water sealer. He mentioned that silicon cement sealer would be a better choice and also perhaps a gutter in front of the wall( I had already been thinking of the same thing, only something like a vinyl "L" if they make such a thing). After that I went to lowes to look for such a sealer and found these 2: GE siding & trim-modified silicone polymer and PL Polyurethane concrete crack and Masonry sealant. I also picked up a 1*2 cement board that won't rot and thinking of sealing this in front of the wall as a trim Piece that also blocks the water. The contractor was gone when I got back home so I have no idea if what I have is the right stuff. Does all of this sound doable?

Thanks, Fletch

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sealing out water in new garage

No, this is a waste of time and money. A layer of block should have been put down first. The block filled with concrete and anchor bolts inserted into the cavities.
The wood framing would be placed on top of the block.
You hired the wrong person and he is doing the wrong job. There is no amount of goop you can put down to fix this.
Have him rip it out and do it correctly.
I'm assuming this job was not planned and filed for.
Ron

o

It's a done deal now. The contractor did tell me that I would need to address the water issue because the original contractor (house builder) should have build the foundation higher and did not. There must be a way as I have seen others with these exact same setups before.

Fletch

o

If the slab is so low water is running on to it from the surrounding surface about the only thing to do is remove some dirt and lower the surface.

You could then use flashing from behind the siding to over the edge of the slab by at least an inch.

o

I have it much better now, but still work in progress. I have a plank that will not rot and about to install that. I am a grad student and just got out for the summer so I now have more time to tend to it. In fact about to buy the door and opener. That reminds me...I need to post about brands etc.
tnx, Fletch

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here