Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Source for regulated power supply..?

Posted by digginlight (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 5, 07 at 19:27

Several instruments and tools are hanging fire waiting for power. Setting them up on their occasional use basis might benefit from a common power supply.

I've got everything from computer peripherals to battery powered hand tools that now only get used once in a while.

I can't seem to locate a reasonably priced variable output supply that would give from 5-24 volts and from 300mA to 3 amps. That would be the ideal, but I'd settle temporarily for a bit less latitude.

Local electronic sources seem to only offer up to 12V inexpensively - of course for way over $200.US I can get the works - but.

Any leads greatly appreciated..!
ThanX in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Source for regulated power supply..?

Not very hard to build at all.
An LM338, a hefty transformer, a bridge rectifier, some filter caps (you do not need very clean power for this) and a potentiometer for adjustment along with some fixed resistors.
Try Jameco or one of the other electronic kit makers if you want a little more turn key.
The Natianl Semiconductor data sheet has a 1.2 to 25 V 5 A on page 7.

Here is a link that might be useful: LM338

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here