Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pre-Fabricated Sheds

Posted by exrunner (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 9, 09 at 18:10

Hello,
Am going to buy a shed in the near future from Home Depot/Sams Club/Menards I don't know who in the near future. Going to use it to store lawn mowers, bicycles, old books in boxes,etc.

Do I need to be concerned about what the shed is placed on? For example I'm sure concrete is the best but don't want to hire someone to pour it. Cheapest would be to just find a nice level part of the yard but I'm not sure that wouldn't result in moisture in the unit.

Any thoughts on the issue?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pre-Fabricated Sheds

Many.

My shed was built by or for the previous owner, and is on concrete. A flat slab, so when it rains or snow melts, it runs under the wall and into the shed. Not good for the wood clearly, although as far as I know it hasn't rotted yet. It has the plastic foam under the plate but of course that's not the solution. I am still trying to work out what would be best.

If I was doing it over or even putting a prefab shed on concrete, I would build a low wall/foundation round the slab that the walls would sit on, at least 6" above the ground to control the moisture.

Looking at what you want the shed for, much as I dislike excessive use of plastic (although at least recycled plastic products provide a market for the stuff we should be recycling) those plastic sheds you see in places like Costco seem pretty good, and they have well-raised floors. You could probably also run silicone around the edges (I would put some sort of silicone/dpc/caulking under the edges of a prefab steel shed too) as a safeguard.

The height of the floor seems pretty good and should help keep things waterproof. You will want to ensure that vermin access is controlled, and holes are covered, since mice love boxes of books.

If you went with the plastic, follow the instructions but you may be able to go direct on the ground, or you could put down a bed of sand, or perhaps a low wood retaining wall, fill with sand/gravel, create ramp for access.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here