Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Steel or wood?

Posted by gaia6b (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 30, 06 at 17:42

Hi - we're replacing two old wood doors on the front of our "garage" - the garage is actually an old brick and wood building, rather rustic. The garage sits right on the street, and the doors will be seen close-up by pedestrians. What am I getting at? Do I really want to put steel doors on this building? Isn't that a little out of character? Does anyone have wood doors that last and that they love? (The local door salesman is really trying to talk me out of wood.)

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Steel or wood?

Wood rots and it is really heavy to open. BUT, if you like wood and are willing to care for it then get wood.

No brand, my parents 2 car wood door lasted 30+ years because every 2 years Dad sanded the bottom panel and painted it all. No matter Dad's meticulous care, that door got darn heavy when it rained.

You have a wood door so you know that. That guy might be pushing steel for a sales quota. If you want a wood door for one reason or another then get a wood door. It would just need care.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here