Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bala_gw

Craftsman Garage door keypad...

bala
17 years ago

I have a 10 year old craftsmand garage door. Till last week, I am able to use the keypad mounted outside the wall. But now, the keypad does not work. The good thing is, still my remote and inside monuted pad works. I can see the lights on the outside keypad when I start pressing the buttons. Even I changed the batteries. I don't know whether the number got changed accidently or something wrong with the keypad.

Since I last the instructions to change the PIN on the keypad, I appericiate if anyone suggest me how to reset it, It is a wired keypad, NOT a wireless.

Thanks

Comments (6)

• Don_
    17 years ago

To program the keypad, first unplug the garage door opener from the electrical outlet. Next, remove the nameplate from the console that the keypad plugs into and locate the program/operate switch. Flip the switch to program. Next, enter your desired four-digit PIN number into the keypad. Slide the switch back to operate and plug the garage door opener back in. The keypad should be programmed.

• bala
    Original Author
    17 years ago

When I was trying your suggestion, I found that my keypad is a wireless one. Here is the model no.
    Model: 139.53876.
    FCC ID: HBW1162
    Canada: K741

I searched your website for this model no and I found one result. whatever you mentioned for that request did not work for me. Do you think that I have to get a new wireless keypad?.

• Don_
    17 years ago

Not sure what you found so lets start over. On the rear of your motor unit near where all those white wires go you will find a button. Press and immediately release this and then walk over to your keypad and key in your PIN. If this doesnt work and you replaced the battery with a good one you need a new keypad.

• bala
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Don,
    I tried your suggestion. I could not succeed. Here is the more information.
    On the garage motor, the model says: 139.53645SRT1 and the serial no is. 16562c01418 and the mfr 04/96. In the back of the keypad the model no shows that 139.53876

I bought a new wireless keypad of Chamberlain model which says it is compatible for the one I had. that also does not work.
    I followed the instructions as it said.
    1. I pressed the green button on the back of the garage motor. The green light came up and stayed for 30 seconds.
    2. Within that 30 seconds, I entered a 4 digit code on the keypad and hold the enter key for about a minute.
    I did not see any blinking or the clicks of the garage door light.
    As per the instructions, it is supposed to acknowledge the new code by signaling the clicks on the light.

Can you help me what could have gone wrong and how to figure it out?.
    Thanks

• skdino_comcast_net
    12 years ago

My wireless garage door opener keypad keeps draining my batteries, I put a new battery in and it only last for about one week, any help.

• Bruce in Northern Virginia
    9 years ago

If this is a rolling code door opener that has one large square button and two smaller round buttons - Craftsman changed their rolling code door openers several years ago, and you need to make sure the new keypad you bought is compatible with your opener. The old remotes are referred to as "blue button" and the new ones are "black button". If you look at the remote in your car it will have blue or black buttons, and the new keypad should state its compatible with one or the other.

Bruce