Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garage Door Opener- repair or replace?

Posted by jima (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 14, 06 at 15:09

The chain recently came off our garage door opener. I was able to get it back on, and in adjusting/tightening to the recommended tension and testing, the chain came off again. It appears that the gear or sprocket on top of the housing is slightly elevated and tilted.

Can this be repaired by an amateur like myself, or do I need to get a professional to repair it?

After calling a few local shops, it sounds like I can buy a whole new unit for less than it will cost for someone to come and look it and possibly fix it.

I greatly appreciate any comments or help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garage Door Opener- repair or replace?

That part is not hard to install. If you were able to get your chain back on you should be able to do it easily. The part number is 41C4220A. I no longer remember the price. One thing you need to check is the condition of your door. It is usually a problem with the door that causes the bearing to go bad in that assembly. It is called a 'gear and sprocket assembly'.

o
RE: Garage Door Opener- repair or replace?

I have changed this part many times. If you are able to make the change, then is likely worth it,(if you are going to pay Sears to do it, then don't do it. You will pay more than it is worth) You can get them reasonable on ebay. It is the top metal gear, and has a large white gear connected on the bottom. I don't recall the part number, as I recycle them from removed units,(I beleive the part number is listed in the post above) It is mechanical surgery, if your okay about that. Remove the door opener power head from the ceiling and put it on a table to do this one. You may want to take a picture of the internals before you start removing things to get at the part to change. Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here