Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can we talk carports here?

Posted by sailor86 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 13, 08 at 15:03

We're looking to add a carport here and I would like to get in touch with somebodies who have experience in purchasing and hiring somebody to install for them. This category was the closest but if I'm off- track please re-direct me where to go. Thanks.

\

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can we talk carports here?

Posting here would be a refreshing change from complaints about Sears GDOs.
You might cross-post on the Remodeling forum.

o

Alrighty then. What we would like to do is add a simple two-car carport(I haven't checked the dimensions yet) and so far we've got an estimate for $1650. Parts and labor. How does that sound to y'all out there?

o

Not really enough information.
Where are you located?
what type of construction?
With or without floor?
Who gets the permit(s)?
Provisions for electrical/lighting?
Dimensions?

o

Wow. That's a lot to consider, but roughly, it's going to be a simple 4-post overhead carport. NO lighting or other electrical involved. Place over existing driveway. Not sure we even need permits around here for a carport(we live in the Fort Worth, tX area).
The posts are like 3"x3" steel posts, with the overhead like 18 gauge steel(I think that's what it is). Very simple construction. I'd do it myself but I'd probably make myself look foolish. At my age, I'm careful to not bite off more than I can potentially chew.
Also, would one need a helper or is it possible to go it solo?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here