Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2 car garage width?

Posted by nostalgicfarm (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 4, 12 at 13:27

We are looking at moving a building for a garage onto our property. It would be 20 feet wide by 28 deep. We have a 77.4 inch wide minivan (without mirrors) and a 69.3 inch wide car. The garage door will be a single 16*8 feet.
Will this be too tight for getting in and our of cars? The minivan has sliding doors, and I am small, so don't need to open the van door all the way to get out, but will this be a comfortable garage? If we were building, we would probably do 24 feet wide, but we aren't looking to redesign the building.
We also don't need the sides of the garage for storage, and will use the back or the 28 feet for shelving storage. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2 car garage width?

I look for at least 30 inches between vehicles and from the vehicle to the nearest obstruction on the driver's side, like a wall. If the passenger side of the vehicle on the right side of the garage is not to be opened while in the garage, 12 inches from the vehicle to the wall should be sufficient.
I suspect that the 20 foot width is an outside dimension, leaving you about 1 foot less to work with on the inside. The garage should be usable, with sufficiently precise placement of the vehicles.
Doable? - yes; Comfortable? - not particularly

o

My two car garage has a 20 foot interior width. It is very narrow. We have a Honda pilot SUV and a BMW M3 convertible. They both fit, but it is tight and there is no real space to store anything on the sides of the garage. It is workable, but quite narrow and not ideal. I would prefer to have at least another five feet in width.

Thankfully, we have a bit of extra length - so there is room for bikes, trash cans, etc.

Having a narrow garage is funny. Our house is well over 4,000 sq ft, but - because of site conditions (some large bedrock) they built it with the smallest two car garage they could get away from. Nothing I can do about it.

o

I have a 20'x20' garage (interior dims). It works, but if I could have it to do over again, I'd definitely do a min 24' x 24'garage. The 20' width is just too narrow, and we have a midsize sedan and a Honda Pilot. You have to be careful to not bang the doors.

Plus, with kids, you have to really watch them to keep them from banging the doors. And there's just not enough room for storing lawn mower, trash, bikes, tools, etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here