Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ventilation in my workshop

Posted by manu01 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 4, 06 at 13:22

I am in the final process of setting up my workshop in a shed. The electrician is coming on the weekend to wired the place and I need to decide what kind of exhaust/ventilation I want. Couple of people suggested I will be fine with a couple of regular bathroon exhaust on both side of the shed. The shed is 9'x 13'and I will mainly use it for my hobby - stone carving. I am planning to leave the doors open as much as possible for additional ventilation. Any suggestions about a particular exhaust fan? Does the luvers need to closed when not in used?

thank you,
Manu01

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ventilation in my workshop

Bathroom fans wouldn't work for me in my workshop, but in the summer it can get pretty hot and humid here in central Indiana. I've used an old furnace blower either sitting on the floor or hung from a ceiling joist and aimed directly at me to cool me off! Just wired it to a heavy cord and plugged it into a wall outlet.

o

i did some research on dust collection for a wooodworking shop. i don't know how translatable the systems are, but you might want to check out a very extensive site i found: you can google "bill pentz" and get more info than you bargained for. the bottom line is, stone dust (and wood dust) can be bad news for your lungs, so it's worth making sure you're as well protected as possible.

good luck!

o

What I found to be quite effective is an attic fan mounted on the outside wall. I picked one up at Home Depot along with louvers for outside. It has a temperature sensitive switch which I bypassed. I wired it to a wall switch. So when I have too much dust or paint fumes I open a couple of windows on the other side of the shop and turn on the fan.

But I would not recommend this as your only dust removal. In my wood shop I have a central vac with pipes running to my floor tools and a ceiling-mounted dust collector as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here