Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sealing Concrete Garage Floor

Posted by pokee99 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 3, 08 at 12:36

We're moving into a brand new house in May and my husband was thinking of putting a layer of sealant on the garage floor. He has a motorcycle and does work on it and figured a seal on the floor would make it easier to wash, sweep, etc.

Anyone done this before? Is it worth it? Hubby thinks it takes lots of time to do (several layers that take a day each to cure), so we're wondering if we'll have time to do it before all of our stuff needs to be moved in. We're thinking of taking possession 4-5 days earlier just to facilitate this (since we will need the garage for all of our stuff once we're moved in - no way around that). It's gonna cost an extra $500 or so to carry two mortgages at once if we decide to move in several days early. We're wondering if it's worth it.

If anyone out there has sealed their floor and can describe how they did it, how long it took, how much it cost and if it was worth the time and effort, it would be much appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sealing Concrete Garage Floor

I did it in both of my garages. Its well worth it in my opinion. I bought the paint and sealer through Sherwin Williams commercial division. The cost was about $500 (wholesale)I think. Prep is extremly important. You can find all the applicication details on the internet. I used grey epoxy with multi colored specs with clear coat over it all. DO NOT use some cheap store brand paint. It will wear off quickly due to warm tires. Pay more...get more.

o

if you "need the garage for all our stuff" then do it. because in my area a garage floor will sweat during spring and fall with teh big difference in ground and air temps. sealed floors don't have as much of a problem with this.

you may also want to look into jsut renting a storage unit for a month or so and stick the stuff in there until teh floor is done. that will be cheaper than paying 2 notes at once!

o

visit www.garageforum.com and get some good advice, they have a section just on garage floors

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here