Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garage door opening damper?

Posted by rkymtnron (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 30, 08 at 11:31

I have a desire to install a pair of "deceleration dampers" (shock-absorbers) on a heavy overhead garage door.

The one's I have seen in the past are cylinders, with a spring plunger and rubber bumper end. They are about a foot long, 1-1/2" in diameter and attach directly to the door tracks. Normally used in pairs (one on each track).

I have seen these devices on some garage doors in the past, but can't seem to find this product on any internet source. I have talked to several commercial garage door companies, and they don't seem to know what I'm talking about!

The problem is that the door wants to keep moving, after the door opener reaches it's normal open position. This intermittantly causes the opener's control circuit to "hang-up" until I cycle the power to the opener.

The opener does not have a dynamic brake on the drive motor.

Can anyone help me to locate these dampers.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garage door opening damper?

it sounds to me like the spring has too much tension and is trying to force the door up. why not get teh pros to come out and give it a once over?

o
RE: Garage door opening damper?

You are trying to invent a repair. Do as Dave says. Get a door technician to repair your door.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here