Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sear garage door opens and closes by itself

Posted by vawhit (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 21, 11 at 11:02

I just replaceed an older (20 years) Sears garage door opener because it had developed an annoying habit of opening and closing by itself, almost always between 0100 and 0300 in the morning.
Discussing the problem with a Sear repairman, he stated the older models use a lower MHz remote frequency that could/would react to anything near it in the frequency band and recommended that I get the new digital unit. So I did and installed it two weeks ago.
Well last night at 0200 it opened about six inches by itself. Normally the old door opened wide. so this perplexes me.
I wonder if it could be powerline (from the power company) signal could initiate this. I know they send control signals over the power lines to control their equipment. If so, would a power line filter stop this.
Anyone else having this problem?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sear garage door opens and closes by itself

The most common reason for this is a bad wall control or the wiring to it. I hope you changed both of these items when you installed the new opener. Staples can cut through the insulation of the wiring and cause a problem. At one time there was some talk of the electric companies use of a radio to read meters causing problems with openers. Haven't heard anything lately so this may have just been a rumor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here