Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
GDO chain bar bends

Posted by slars (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 6, 11 at 10:55

I replaced an old Craftsman garage door opener with a new one. The replacement matched the hp of the old unit; 1/2 hp chain drive. During installation I noticed the new chain bar was constructed much lighter than the old one. None the less I installed everything new. The door operates as designed but I noticed the bar bends about 3" during the door open cycle. Seems the light weight bar bends under the torque of the motor until the first rollers make the turn at the top of the track run. This flex actually pops the door open initially as the track straightens out. Also, in order to close my door completely I've had to adjust the closing pressure until the bar flexes the opposite way, again about 3". My old unit never did this. I followed the instruction exactly as specified. I've also checked my door to make sure it opens and closes freely. What did I do wrong?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: GDO chain bar bends

Sounds like your garage door has a problem. The opener will not do this under any normal conditions. Here is a link to some suggestions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Door balance

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here