Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What style of garage should I put on this house?

Posted by dah328 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 21, 12 at 10:17

I am considering converting the carport on my house pictured below into a garage. The house has some mid century modern and contemporary elements and I would like the garage to complement those. This project has a moderate budget, so I can't really afford to move the driveway and I'd prefer to use the roof of the existing carport.

It seems that a common garage design for more contemporary houses is the one pictured below the house with the horizontal plank siding and the translucent glass garage door. Is that a reasonable direction to consider for the garage? Are there other designs that I should consider?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What style of garage should I put on this house?

I'm not seeing that as a good visual blend with the rest of the house unless you can go bigger.
I think, though, a vertical siding (T1-11) might be a better match. A more dated look, but I think it goes better with your house.
JMHO

o
RE: What style of garage should I put on this house?

I love modern architecture, but I really am not a fan of the translucent garage doors. I've seen them on several projects and they haven't won me over. One loft style building here has them, but they used clear glass, and you can see all the tenants belonging and can tell if they're home or not by whether or not there's a car in the garage!

Back to the point though, your house doesn't have any flat roofs (excluding the carport, which is an add-on). Why not go back with a roof at the same pitch? It would blend in more I think.

Have you verified your allowable building setback to know if you can even add on a garage there? Just because a carport was added there doesn't mean it's in compliance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here