Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dah328

What style of garage should I put on this house?

dah328
12 years ago

I am considering converting the carport on my house pictured below into a garage. The house has some mid century modern and contemporary elements and I would like the garage to complement those. This project has a moderate budget, so I can't really afford to move the driveway and I'd prefer to use the roof of the existing carport.

It seems that a common garage design for more contemporary houses is the one pictured below the house with the horizontal plank siding and the translucent glass garage door. Is that a reasonable direction to consider for the garage? Are there other designs that I should consider?

Comments (2)

• randy427
    11 years ago

I'm not seeing that as a good visual blend with the rest of the house unless you can go bigger.
    I think, though, a vertical siding (T1-11) might be a better match. A more dated look, but I think it goes better with your house.
    JMHO

• fotomatt
    11 years ago

I love modern architecture, but I really am not a fan of the translucent garage doors. I've seen them on several projects and they haven't won me over. One loft style building here has them, but they used clear glass, and you can see all the tenants belonging and can tell if they're home or not by whether or not there's a car in the garage!

Back to the point though, your house doesn't have any flat roofs (excluding the carport, which is an add-on). Why not go back with a roof at the same pitch? It would blend in more I think.

Have you verified your allowable building setback to know if you can even add on a garage there? Just because a carport was added there doesn't mean it's in compliance.