Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Barn plumbing

Posted by indianaben (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 12, 06 at 9:44

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but I'll try anyway.

I'm have a barn built and once the barn is done I'm planning to finish part of it as a small apartment. The barn should be delivered later this month, then I'll need to have the plumbing done and concrete work. I had planned to have the plumbing for kitchen/bath/etc run under the concrete slab (which I assume is normal), but was wondering if there were any other options to avoid having it under the concrete.
Thanks.

I guess my reason for asking is because I don't like not having access to the pipes in case something breaks from a freeze.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Barn plumbing

In order to prevent freezing the plumbing codes require all lines to or from a structure to be buried a minimum of 6" below the average frost depth for your region.

There is no risk of freezing under a slab if the living space above the slab is heated.

If you really want to insure an access to the lines under a slab for future maintenance you can install PVC pipe with long radius bends up to the slab, then pull continuous roll copper or plastic pipe through the PVC. In this configuration should it be necessary to replace a line in future you can pull it through the conduit.

If you install copper pipe under a slab you are required to use wrought copper fittings and all joints must be brazed. They may not be soldered. That is why we normally use continuous roll copper pipe under a slab to eliminate joints, but be careful here, you must use type K or type L copper pipe, either rigid or roll but you may not use type M copper or copper tubing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here