Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman 1/2 hp Garage Door Opener Behaving Strangely

Posted by krob (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 11, 08 at 0:24

In my first attempt at GDO repair, I had to replace a worn out drive gear. After getting everything back together, I was having trouble getting it to stop before the trolly would hit the opener. It seemed as if the limit switch wasn't working, also seemed like the center limit contact was moving away from the contact it was supposed to be moving towards. So I switched the wires connected to the up/down contacts around and that seemed to do the trick. Only I forgot to check the reverse safety sensors. A couple days later, I noticed that the safety sensors are only tripping when the door is moving up. So the door will reverse from up to down when you walk under it and trip the sensor. Not too safe!

Just seems like the motor is turning backwards? Is that possible? I tried taking the drive gear back out, flipping it over and reinstalling, but no luck. I have also put the limit switch wires back in their correct positions.

Any help would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman 1/2 hp Garage Door Opener Behaving Strangely

The only thing I can imagine is if you had the chain off and put it back 180 degrees off. This would cause the symptoms you describe. If you stand under the motor unit facing the garage door the chain should connect to the trolley on the left side of the T-rail.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here