Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman 1/2 hp GDO won't move more than 4 inches

Posted by rotaryboy (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 26, 07 at 0:08

The model# is 139.535006 (no sensors, really old) and the issue started when the door would only move up and then down 4 inches, then stop. Now the motor just "clicks" and the door wont move at all. I can screw the motor shaft by hand (chain is off) to the middle of its cycle and occasionally the gear will turn until it reaches the top or bottom. Once it hits the top (or bottom) limiter it will do nothing if pressed again...the motor just clicks or only moves a fraction of an inch. I have swapped both rpm sensor board and logic board with my other working unit to no avail. BTW I replaced the worm gear/sprocket years ago and it has been fine. I think what may have started all this is me shutting the door on a bucket and the door reversing itself???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman 1/2 hp GDO won't move more than 4 inches

If you eliminated the circuit board and rpm sensor as faults then the only thing left is the motor. If this is doing this even with the door disconnected then I would opt for a new unit for the motor is going to run you around 100 bucks itself and that is if you can find one that old.

o

I did not post a problem but on reading your answers I solved my problem with my sensor being out of line. I was about to go buy a whole new opener so thanks for being here and saving me money. Now I can brag to my husband that I fixed the opener!!!!!!

o

vickie, good for you! That's why we are here.

o

vickie, make sure you rub it in good too. Especially if he tried fixing it. Glad we could help.

o

I'm still stumped as again yesterday the door completed its down cycle but once it hit the down limiter wouldn't go back up. If the motor is bad I would think it wouldn't move at all. I swapped the starter capacitor too...no difference. I really don't mind buying a new opener except the Homelink in my older car ('97)doesn't work with rolling codes, right?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here