Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is an insultated garage door worth it to keep out heat

Posted by james_444 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 9, 13 at 23:41

Hello,

I live in Mesa Arizona, an adjacent city to Phoenix. As you may of heard it gets a little warm here in the summer like over 110 degrees. I'm going to replace my 1978 single piece steel garage door. My house faces west and during the summer the sun beats on the steel garage door and turns the attached garage into a dry sauna. It's hotter in the garage than it is outside even though outside may be over 115 degrees. The heat bleeds into the house in spite of insulation in the garage walls and pushes up my air conditioning bill.

Every article I've found talks about insulated garage doors and cold. Cold is not my problem. Any suggestions as to the best insulated garage door for heat?

I was thinking of a polyurethane sandwich style door. My reasoning that even if the door leaks air around the edges it will still be better than what I have now. I am aware that the R values quoted by manufacturers are not consistent since some use the center of the panel and very few, if any, test the whole door.

I've already put in Energy star windows and doors and had extra insulation blown into the attic. I have dropped my utility bills by over 35%. I've also installed ceiling fans which help a lot.

So in my particular case is an insulated door worth the extra cost? Does anyone have any experience with a particular brand?

Suggestions anyone?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is an insultated garage door worth it to keep out heat

Installation only slows the movement of heat, it does not stop the movement.

Given the 365/24 exposure of the door it is not likely to make much difference without HVAC.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here