Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Workshop Floor-wood or concrete

Posted by emmettacres (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 23, 06 at 23:39

My husband is designing his new workshop and would like other's opinion on whether to install a wood floor or concrete. A single car garage will be attached at one end seperated from the workshop by a set of double doors. This floor will be concrete. He plans on moving wood into his shop and finished projects out of his shop through the garage so doesn't want a step up. Either way he does have link together rubber mats to lay down on the floor around his equipment. He has cracked both his heels, at seperate times, so standing for a long period on concrete isn't comfortable. Thanks for any comments.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Workshop Floor-wood or concrete

I would almost kill to have a wood floor shop again.

o

With our last house I had a detached workshop out back with a concrete floor. In our current home the workshop is built over the garage, so it has a wood floor. I did not skimp on the structure - the frame is 11-1/4" I-joists on 12 inch centers (I wanted to make sure it could handle the weight of the tools and not deflect). The sub-floor is 3/4" plywood and there is another layer of 3/4" plywood (sanded) on top of that.

All things considered, I MUCH prefer the wood floor. It is warmer and easier on my feet and legs. If I drop a drill or router bit they aren't ruined. If I want I can run power up in the middle of the room.

The only down side I can think of is wood glue. I have to make sure I spread newspapers under where I am gluing or the glue drips on the wood and hardens/adheres. But I can get rid of the lumps with a floor scraper.

I would absolutely recommend he go for the wood floor if he can swing it.

o

I have a plywood floor in my shop. How should it be finished? I do not care about appearence, but want low maintaince for easy cleanup.

o

We're in the process of building a shed/workshop. It sits on brick piers about a foot off the ground. So far there's only a plywood subfloor. Are you talking about just keeping the plywood for flooring or adding something on top of that?

Harper

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here