Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
storing boat trailer--pulley lift in garage???

Posted by ellenandco (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 7, 13 at 23:29

I don't really know where to ask this, but garages sounds about right. We've put in a jet dock on our lot and love it! We'll start building our home as soon as we close on interim financing. So now what do we do with the boat trailer?

The boat will stay on the dock year round. I can't imagine needing the trailer more than 1 or 2 times a year. Right now it's parked on a lightly wooded lot on our street (we can see the trailer and the lot we're building on from the house we're renting).

Anyone ever hear of a pulley type system to lift the trailer up out of the way in the garage? Other ideas for how to store the trailer sans boat? Can they be stored on their side? You can probably tell DH is the boater and I'm just asking the questions. Thanks for any tips.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: storing boat trailer--pulley lift in garage???

Make sure you have safety chains.
They need to be separately anchored and snug after lifting.

You can also stand it up against a wall, but you would still lose floor space.

o

One additional note is that you might be able to remove the tires before hoisting. Tis would possibly reduce some weight and give a little additional clearance.

o

Thanks for you input. Fortunately, a friend heard our dilemma and offered to let us keep the trailer on their acreage. I'm relieved!

o

This reminds me of a buddy a few years back that lived in a development with all sorts of restrictions, including a 'no boats on trailers in the back yard' rule and 'no overnight boats on trailers in front of the house on the street.'

His boat on its trailer was NOT going into his garage.

He finally ut in about 8 posts, cut them off at an appropriate angle, put some 2x lumber on top connecting the posts, ten had a huge party.

He backed the boat into the back yard by the posts, and about 40 of us lifted it onto the support he had built.

The HOA immediately complained.
He ignored them after a discussion with his attorney.

They sued.

He brought nice pictures in for the judge.

Since he did not have "a boat on a trailer" the judge ruled the covenant did not apply.
It was a boat on wooden posts.

The trailer was at a storage yard on its side.
Smaller amount of space to pay rent on.

And then awarded him attorney fees (almost unheard of).

It seems the HOA had been before the judge multiple times before over all sorts of small things and annoyed him in this case.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here