Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Liftmaster GDO opens on its own

Posted by seashells (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 24, 11 at 22:11

I have a Liftmaster Elite model 3850 opener. It was installed about 7 months ago by a professional door company. Suddenly, the door has started opening (not closing) on its own. The LED light on the main unit is steady green. The company that installed it came out and wasn't especially helpful. The tech seemed skeptical that there was a problem at all. He replaced the wall control unit, but that has not solved the problem. I told the service tech that I saw a brief message on the LED readout that said something about miswiring. I only saw this message once and didn't see the entire message as it was scrolling across the screen. He didn't seem to be interested in that bit of information. I took the batteries out of the spare remote to be sure that wasn't causing a problem. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Liftmaster GDO opens on its own

The steady green light on the motor unit is an indication of interference. Random flashing is normal. I would look for an old remote in a drawer or shelf that has a bad switch or something on top pressing down on the button. To eliminate the possibility of a staple shorting out the wiring to the wall control you can temporarily remove the wire from terminal #1 on the rear of the motor unit. If you cannot find the interference I would suspect the logic board.

o
RE: Liftmaster GDO opens on its own

Thanks for the info. The green light was actually the battery back up indicator. Indeed, the logic board was bad. All is well now!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here