Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garage Door Opener Losing Power

Posted by kenallen (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 31, 08 at 21:51

I recently had a Craftsman Garage Door Opener installed and now it appears to be losing power. When we attempt to open or close the garage door, it will move between 4 and 24 inches and stop. The light even goes off. Then the light will come back on in 3 - 45 seconds, and then we can push the button and it will continue for another few inches and go off again. I even unlatched the garage door, and it still does that. Any thoughts???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garage Door Opener Losing Power (Update)

I tested an extention cord to a different power outlet that I know is working and had the same problem.

I found that the twisted pair wires coming from the ceiling into the GDO was damaged. The outer covering is basically missing from a 1 inch section about 12 inches from where it enters the GDO. Also, the covering around a couple of the individual colored wires is striped off. It looked as though 2 of the wires could have been touching.

So I put electrical tape around each individual wire to keep them from touching. When I moved the orange wire to put tape around it, it broke. So I twisted it together and taped it.

Now the garage door doesn't lose power as often. When it does, I touch it on the side where the lights are and the power comes back. I can't make the power go out by shaking it or touching it though.

The door will go up fine with the remotes and the wall unit.

However, the door will only go down with the wall unit and only when I hold the button until it is completely down. If I let go, it will go back up, and the light flashes 10 times.

When I try to let the door down with the remotes, the light flashes ten times.

Any more thoughts? Do I need to reset the GDO? Do I need to cut the twisted pair wire where is stripped and rewire it into the GDO?

o
RE: Garage Door Opener Losing Power

Your door sensors are out of alignment. Make sure they are pointed at one another. When they are each one will have a small light that is lit.

o
RE: Garage Door Opener Losing Power (Fixed)

The main power board was going out. It was replaced and the GDO is working fine now. I think the touching wires caused the power board to go bad. Thanks for all the help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here