Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sears Garage Door. Light won't turn on when door is opened/close

Posted by mulcbone (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 10, 08 at 19:52

Hi all. I have a Craftsman garage door opener model 139.53910.
We recently moved into this house and it has been working fine. Recently, the light stopped coming on when opening/closing the door. I, obviously, suspected the bulb was burned out, so I changed it. No luck. The thing I can think of is that during a recent four-hour power outage, something may have been damaged...however, since the opener performs normally, I'm inclined to think it's something else.

Thanks in advance for any help you can send my way!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sears Garage Door. Light won't turn on when door is opened/c

Howdy, 2 options.

A- UNPLUG the unit.
Get up on a ladder if you can safely, and look at the lightbulb socket contacts. Sand or srape them clean, or replace teh socket if its all pitted.

B-Or if you have a VOM and know how to use it SAFELY ON A LIVE CIRCUIT, check for 120v at the socket.

I strongly recommend using option A!!!

Good luck. Dave,

o
RE: Sears Garage Door. Light won't turn on when door is opened/c

If you have the 3 switch wall control try turning your light off and on with the light switch. If you cannot hear the relay click then your power problem most likely got to that relay. This would then be a logic board problem which is expensive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here