Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
razorback_rn

Has anyone used concrete stain on their garage floor?

razorback_rn
18 years ago

Our new house is almost dried in. We were planning on painting the garage floor w/ the epoxy type floor paint system w/ the paint chip sprinkles but we have heard mixed reviews from the various people we have talked to and our GC highly suggested staying away from such a product.

The other option out there is concrete stain. We've read different articles where people have installed the stain using a garden sprayer to get a mottled look. This kind of appeals to us b/c it's made to look imperfect which will help hide spots and such.

Has anyone done this?

The only other option that we can come up w/ is the roll on type of polypropolene floor liner. We aren't crazy about this option.

Comments (4)

• maryland_irisman
    18 years ago

You'll have to use something designed specifically for garage floors. I've seen where folks have painted the floor with oil based enamel deck paint. On a hot summer day after driving (tires hot) pulled into the garage and the paint stuck to the tires and the paint peeled up as they drove off the next time out!!!

The epoxy is good on a cured, dry and very clean floor. If the finishers put a smooth finish on the floor, getting anything to stick for long, is a challenge.

I too, like the look you're going for but wouldn't want to give my approval from what I've seen. I hate oil spots and tar marks from my cars and trucks on the garage floor. I use gunk engine cleaner and a rag to clean them up right away. There's a magazine a friend subscribes to called "Improvements" or something like that. They have a pad which can be rolled out that keeps the concrete clean. I've also seen where folks have used composite floor tiles (with a design) and that seems to work (I've seen it in car dealer show rooms). I suspect they would be quite slippery when wet or snow and ice gets on them. Don't use carpet if you can refrain, the catalytic converter could melt or ignite it especially after it gets a little oil soaked.

I hope I helped.

• razorback_rn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for your insight.

I had this same conversation w/ my father this weekend and his feedback was the same as yours.

We discussed the concrete stain idea and he said that he would worry about wear from hot tires and dropping tools, etc. We even drove to a fairly new, local grocery stores w/ the stained floors that I wanted. They used to look so great but now they are worn and some of the stain even came up when things were dragged or dropped on them.

We discussed composite tiles which we do like the look of but again my father said that they would be really slick when wet. We have a similar thing on our hospital floors at work and they do get very slick when wet.

So those options are out.

Carpet was never an option. We've seen those roll out liners like you mentioned but we aren't crazy about them either.

At this point we are going to look into those plastic/rubber tile things that some companies are selling specifically for garage floors. Otherwise we will go w/ leaving well enough alone.

• racerock
    17 years ago

A neighbor of mine was bragging that the concrete stain had held up really well. I questioned him about pulling up with the hot tires. "Not a problem" he said. He also said that he used mats under the tires (very particular person).

I laughed as he sort of sighed when he pulled up the mats, and they were stuck to the stain, and the stain had lifted already (less than a year old).

• Sherre Bishop
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I stained my garage with gray and added the sprinkles. Nothing came up on my tires. BUT 2 years later, I'm faced with a dirty floor and tire marks. My solution is to add a second (maybe third coat) and then seal it. I'm no expert. But hoping that will make a difference. Any thoughts?