Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacement, repair, self installation Garage door

Posted by crazymommy (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 2, 13 at 19:20

In attempting to get a car ready to take to the repair shop, we inadvertently discovered that the car did not have breaks. My husband drove it through the garage door. Definitely two panels were broken. It is an older wooden door, but very traditional builder grade which rolls upwards.

My first question involved repair. Can this even be repaired? Most garage doors I see these days are metal or vinyl...unless they are very pricey. I believe that the tracking is still usable. It is a single door 2car garage door.

My second question...replacement.
How difficult is it to self install a garage door?
We'd like to save a bit of money, but it seems like a major project. I also doubt we have the equipment needed.

Also...are any of these garage door places have deals that beat home depot or Lowes with installation? We can't replace with a really good door, but wanted one with at least some insulation.

Also wondering about Sears.

This post was edited by crazymommy on Sat, Mar 2, 13 at 19:33

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacement, repair, self installation Garage door

Installing a garage door isn't especially difficult but is going to require two people because of the physical size of the panels. It is also possible to buy replacement panels, although wooden doors might be more difficult to match. The door should have a tag identifying the manufacturer, who could give you more information.

The biggest challenge with garage doors isn't so much the door itself - basically it just bolts together. It's the opening mechanism. Torsion springs (the kind the sit above the door) store a tremendous amount of energy and can be VERY dangerous for the neophyte. The track is pretty simple to assemble too.

Most of the large chains sub out the work to local contractors. Quality of workmanship can vary widely. You might be better off to see if you can find any recommendations for local garage door companies if you want to have it professionally installed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here