Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Has anyone built a garage with an apartment over?

Posted by concretenprimroses (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 5, 14 at 19:00

Suggestions?
Would you do anything differently?
Kathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Has anyone built a garage with an apartment over?

Kathy,

We are currently considering the same thing! We are wanting to keep our overhead low the first couple of years on our acreage.

We have come up with a floor plan for a home where we could build the garage with a second story now and attach the rest of our floor plan later on when we are needing more space. (and maybe have more money?!) :)

I am curious to see what kind of replies you get to your post!

o

You would first need to check your local building codes to see if it is permitted.

There can be issues with fire and vehicle exhaust safety.

o

I built the space over the garage for future needs when constructing the garage. The additional cost is well worth the added space.

I built it detached purposely, aliened it for the breezeway (future kitchen extension) and interior entrance to the space.

Since you're talking Apartment, I'm assuming Income space.
Some states insist on two points of egress.
For my own piece of mind, I will have two!

The biggest concern I had was locating the separate entrance (or second point of egress).
I personally do not like exterior stair entrance. I believe it takes away from the over-all look of the home. MHO..
Keep in mind as you design, not only the entrance, but also an escape route.

Second is Plumbing.
I've also always been opposed to running water lines into the room above the garage.
I have found, in most cases, if you're willing to give up one room in the main house (typically the back/spare bedroom) you can get a bath and kitchen in.
In my case, giving up the upstairs bath would not be an inconvenience and turning the spare bedroom into a kitchen (extended over the breezeway) would not only be large, but it's right over my existing kitchen (making the plumbing very easy).
Now, if the space is empty during the winter, I don't have to heat it!

Everyone's situation is different, so what will work for me, may not for you.

Just my sticking points..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here