Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
replace wood pane with glass pane / insert ?

Posted by dragondad (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 13, 07 at 16:16

I have two garage door, which is still fully functional, but will like to change its appearance, I like to change top row of wood pane with glass pane / insert.
Is this possible, if so, do you know the garage door glass pane supplier who may sale it. If not, could you give me some suggestions.
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: replace wood pane with glass pane / insert ?

Is this is a wood door with 1/4" flat panels?. If it is you can cut off the interior stops that hold the panels in. Measure the opening and deduct an 1/8" or so from the width and height. Have the glass cut locally. Buy some small molding that is similar in size to the stops you removed. Apply some window glazing to the exterior stops. Insert a glass panel in the opening and gently press it into the glazing compound. Hold the glass in place with those little metal glass holders( forget the name). Local hardware store should have them. Cut the molding and carefully tack it in place. Clean off the excess compound from the exterior. Paint the exterior stops and just cover the glass about a 1/16- 1/8" to seal it from water.
Ron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here