Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garage Door Torsion Spring: replace or not

Posted by sue2004 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 16, 07 at 15:55

Husband thinks we should replace the 2 spring on our single and double garage door. Both springs are just fine. The double door might need add a couple struts as it's making squaking noises now when opening. But both work just fine. THey are about 10 years old.

When I called a few service companies to get price quote, the CSR are a little bit surprised to hear that my springs are not broken and I want to replace it. So my first question is: should I really replce them?My neighbour's garage door once droped to the ground when the spring broke so I guess my hubby got the idea from the neighbour.

As I did some research/garage door 101, I found out that it's recommended for double door to use 2 torsion springs instead of 1. So the second question here is, if we do replace the, should we have that one bigger spring replaced with 2 springs for safety considerations?

Now my 3rd question: I got price quotes of one string on single door for $150, 2 springs on double door for $200, labor and parts included. Is the around the ballpark?

Any feedback is well appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garage Door Torsion Spring: replace or not

If it were me and I had concerns I would invest in a service call by a technician and follow his recommendations. No one on this forum can possibly diagnose sight unseen. Most squeaks can be cured by lubricating.

o
RE: Garage Door Torsion Spring: replace or not

Those prices are dead on. My motto is if it aint broke, don't fix it. But, if you want to go ahead and do it is up to you guys.

A strut will not fix a squaking noise as you put it. If while the door is in the up position and it is sagging in the middle and as it go down you notice that section pop outward and the door jumps at the same time, then it needs a strut. Otherwise for the noise just use penetrating oil on all the rollers, hinges, bearing stands. You can use penetrating oil on the spring as well or grease. DO NOT PUT GREASE ANYWHERE ELSE BUT THE SPRING.

On the smaller door (if it has a torsion spring) one is fine. On the bigger door it is not uncommon to have one. Which is better? I personally like to have two b/c if one breaks the other one can help you lift your door to get the car out. Both systems work fine.

Usually if a spring breaks it will break in the down postition and not while the door is in motion, so I have no idea how your neighbors door could have just dropped. Especially if it is connected to on opener.

If you go with the two springs they may or may not try to charge you more for the conversion.

Hope this helps

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here