Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sue2004

Garage Door Torsion Spring: replace or not

sue2004
17 years ago

Husband thinks we should replace the 2 spring on our single and double garage door. Both springs are just fine. The double door might need add a couple struts as it's making squaking noises now when opening. But both work just fine. THey are about 10 years old.

When I called a few service companies to get price quote, the CSR are a little bit surprised to hear that my springs are not broken and I want to replace it. So my first question is: should I really replce them?My neighbour's garage door once droped to the ground when the spring broke so I guess my hubby got the idea from the neighbour.

As I did some research/garage door 101, I found out that it's recommended for double door to use 2 torsion springs instead of 1. So the second question here is, if we do replace the, should we have that one bigger spring replaced with 2 springs for safety considerations?

Now my 3rd question: I got price quotes of one string on single door for $150, 2 springs on double door for $200, labor and parts included. Is the around the ballpark?

Any feedback is well appreciated!

Comments (2)