Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
durk_gw

Steel Garage Door Suggestions???

durk
18 years ago

I'm looking for suggestions on steel garage doors. The old info I have found is shown below from the following web site:

http://www.hometips.com/cs-protected/guides/garage.html

Does anyone have any "definately get" or "definately stay away from" XXXXX brand garage doors?? I live in colorado - so high on the list are (in no particular order): 1) uv protection, 2) strength from high wind gusts, and 3) insulation - i do a lot of garage projects - would be nice not to freeze in the process!

thanks in advance,

durk

IF ANYONE HAS INFO ON STEEL DOORS THAT THEY REALLY LIKE OR DON'T LIKE - PLEASE POST A FOLLOW UP. I hate to spend this kind of money & have no idea on recommended brands.

below is the specific info from there on Steel garage doors - very general, but at least it gives some things to look for in replacement doors....

Steel Garage Doors. Steel garage doors are much stronger and more secure than wood, aluminum, or fiberglass ones. Thanks primarily to new technologies in embossing metals with wood-grain patterns, and new durable coatings, today's steel doors rival the look of wood without the maintenance headaches. Steel doors won't warp, crack, delaminate or fall apart because of weather. And, because most are made of hot-dipped, galvanized steel that is vinyl clad or given a baked-on polyester finish, they don't rust or require repainting as often as wood doors. Most warranties guarantee the door won't rust for as long as you own the house, but do not protect against fading. On the downside, steel does dent and can be difficult to repair.

Premium-quality garage doors have cores of rigid polystyrene or polyurethane foam insulation. Not only does this insulation help keep the garage warm in winter and cool in summer, but it makes the door lighter, quieter and easier to operate, and less likely to sag or warp over time.

You can usually discern a steel door's quality both by its thickness and by the thickness of its cladding. A premium door is often a full 2 inches thick, filled with insulation, and clad in 24-gauge steel. Less-expensive doors are usually thinner and made of 28 gauge steel (the lower the number, the thicker the metal).

Doors may be single skin, with a frame that shows from inside, or double skin, sandwiching the foam insulation between panels on both outside and inside. The double-skin construction is much more durable and is attractive from inside the garage.

Weatherstripping is another measure of quality. The best-made doors have a full-width vinyl bubble weatherstripping along the bottom edge of the door that conforms to the floor. They also have rigid-vinyl end caps along the sides of the door panels, a vinyl top cap and weather seals between each section.

Styles imitate those of wood doors: flush, recessed panel and raised panel. You can also get metal doors with a horizontal, ribbed design.

For an average-sized steel door (16 by 7 feet), expect to pay from $750 to $1200 installed.

-durk

Comments (3)